Experienced top management executive with a successful record of accomplishment turning around lagging, diverse enterprises. Skilled negotiator in all stakeholder relationships. Keen eye in the identification of market opportunities / trends. Technical education and work background with extensive international corporate knowledge in management, financial, operations, IT, marketing, and sales fields. Excellent written / verbal communication skills in Spanish and English. Extensive Executive/ Business Coaching exposure generating highly focused, motivated, and connected organizational teams. Seeks top management position in dynamic, innovative corporation.
COMPASS LLC, San Juan, Puerto Rico, 2016- Present
President / Founder of an Executive Consulting / Coaching / Mentoring enterprise providing services to C-Suite, high potential executives, and entrepreneurs in the corporate and small enterprise niches.
· Implemented leadership coaching principles at ASC (Automotive Compulsory Insurance in Puerto Rico -2002-2016).
· Transformed organizational culture yielding increased employee soft skills and technical knowledge; generating engagement, productivity, customer satisfaction, and corporate financial success.
· Replicated ASC success in other entrepreneurial organizations
ASC (Compulsory Insurance), San Juan, Puerto Rico:2002- 2016
President/CEO of the largest third-party liability automotive insurance company with over $200M in premiums during sole provider period (2002-2013). Insured 1.8 million vehicles for an 80 % market participation. Managed administrative, financial, operations, IT, planning, risk management, corporate relationships. Generated an innovative, dynamic work environment.
· Reduced the claim process from an initial 21 days to a same day claim/payment experience through re-engineering, continuous process improvement and motivation.
· Implemented cost efficiencies related to infrastructure and manning (slashed cost by more than $2M/ yr.). Personnel reduction from 550 to 210 employees.
· Exceeded operating goals consistently, tripling the equity value of the enterprise from $90 to $300M in a ten-year period (2002-2012). Average Net Income was more than doubled from $17 M/yr. (2002-2007) to $45 M/ yr. (2008-2016).
· Attained market leadership in a new competitive scenario (12 providers from 2013 0nwards): share (36 %), customer satisfaction (94 %), employee engagement (80 %). Absenteeism reduction from 12 to 3 %,
· Implemented product innovation with the first, fully on-line claims system operating 24/7.
BORSCHOW HOSPITAL & MEDICAL SUPPLIES, INC., San Juan, Puerto Rico:2000-2002
Vice-President and General Manager of the largest pharmaceutical drugs, medical-surgical products, and hospital equipment wholesaler in Puerto Rico, with over $200M in sales. Responsibility included all corporate administrative, sales and marketing functions of the Hospital Division.
· Acquired and assured $12 M/ yr. in lost Hospital accounts including the Veterans Affairs Stockless Supply Agreement
· Slashed receivable by 50 % (aging over 180 days) while maintaining a leading role as a service provider.
VERIZON INFORMATION SERVICES, INC., (Acquired ITT WORLD DIRECTORIES, INC.), San Juan, Puerto Rico:1993-2000
Vice President & Managing Director of an enterprise focused on the selling, marketing, and publishing functions of business and commercial information in diverse media formats; bringing buyers and sellers together in Puerto Rico and the US. Virgin Islands’ market. Managed all planning, operations, IT, marketing, selling, administrative and corporate relationships. Responsible for financial performance, products, and services innovation.
· Enhanced core directory products, launched new commercial information internet services introducing the first successful operator- assisted electronic information service in Puerto Rico (INFOVOZ 511). Increased revenues by over $0.5 M / year in the new services.
· Realized revenue turnaround following consistent yearly losses experienced during the 1989-1992 timeframe. Revenues increased from loss position (Negative $5 M/yr.) to positive $25 M/ yr.
EXXON MOBIL CORPORATION, Dallas, Texas 1978-1993 (Various Affiliates)
ESSO COLOMBIANA LIMITED, Bogotá, Colombia: 1992-1993
General Manager Marketing Department: Managed planning, marketing, operations, sales, lubes manufacturing and administrative functions for one of the company’s largest Latin American petroleum markets with $800M in revenue and over 800 employees. Full P/L responsibility. Affiliate provided fuels, lubricants (locally manufactured) and technological support to industrial, aviation and retail markets.
· Generated Positive net incomes (margin regulated environment) in ’92-’93-time period following four years of operational losses (negative $2 M to positive $3 M/yr.).
· Implemented safety awareness programs which reduced accident rate by more than 50 %; a record for this affiliate.
ESSO CENTRAL CARIBBEAN, San Juan, Puerto Rico: 1983-1992
Held multiple positions such as Vice President, Operations Manager, Retail, and Industrial Sales Manager for the region covering Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic, Haiti, and the US Virgin Islands. As VP had Financial, IT, Operations, Corporate Relations portfolio.
· Raised product margins to 11.8 cents/ gallon (from 3 cents/ gallon) on fuels which allowed a profitable operating unit in PR.
· Attained unit profitability goals. Represented the company in successful negotiations with the government (Department of Consumer Affairs, Legislature) in price control deregulation
· Developed and implemented aviation and industrial marketing and sales strategic plans to acquire 100% of American Airlines fuel volumes and obtain dominant position in the industrial market in PR (fuels and lubricants)
· Materialized a labor union agreement changing the fuel distribution function from a union shop to a cooperative organization, yielding cost efficiencies, eliminating work stoppages, and enhancing productivity. Savings were in the $5 M Net Present Value for a 5-year period.
· Achieved additional efficiencies and additional revenues (from 1 to 2 M$/yr.) through local supply vs imports logistics through successful supplier negotiations.
ABC ISLANDS (Aruba, Curacao, Bonaire) COUNTRY MANAGER (1987)
Managed planning, financial, marketing, sales, operations in the islands for a 6-month period. Full P/L responsibility. Promoted to a VP Operations position in Puerto Rico.
EXXON CHEMICALS, Inc., San Juan, Puerto Rico: 1978-1980
Sales Coordinator responsible for the sale and promotion of chemical products in the Caribbean Basin.
· Generated market study which identified PR solvents market potential. Generated plan for changing logistics from Ro/Ro tank deliveries to bulk shipments in PR.
· Increased solvent sales by 20 % in the PR pharmaceutical market.
CONAGRA, INC., San Juan, Puerto Rico: 1987-1988
General Manager for two local manufacturing business units, namely: Molinos de Puerto Rico, a flour and animal feed supplier and To-Rico, a fresh poultry processor. Managed Marketing, sales, plant processing operations with full P/L responsibility.
· Increased sales by 25 % at To-Rico.
SOILAX CARIBBEAN (Economics Lab., St. Paul, Minnesota), Puerto Rico and Dominican Republic 1973-1978
General Manger Dominican Republic Branch and Division Sales Manager for Magnus Industrial Chemicals, Caribbean and Central America Region. In the Dominican Republic managed planning, financial, marketing, sales, corporate relations and administration.
· Attained profitable manufacturing and marketing operations in the Dominican Republic affiliate. Sold unit to local entrepreneur with royalty agreement, ensuring recurring additional revenues.
· Generated dominant position of the Magnus industrial lubricants line in manufacturing operations in PR.
MCDONNEL DOUGLAS ATRONAUTICS CORP., Houston, Texas: 1968-1973
Senior Engineer Dynamics responsible for Apollo/ Skylab astronaut training and procedures development.
· Designed Lunar Landing Procedures for Navigational and Landing radar malfunctions.
· Developed various analyses for Space Shuttle emergency landings
LING-TEMCO-VOUGHT, INC., Dallas, Texas” 1966-1968
Associate Engineer responsible for Scout space vehicle aeroballistics and launch support.
Southern Methodist University- Master in Aerospace Engineering-December 1968
University of Notre Dame- Bachelor in Aerospace Engineering- June 1966
INSTITUTE FOR PROFESSIONAL EXCELLENCE IN COACHING (IPEC)- CORE ENERGY COACH (CEC) AND MASTER PRACTITIONER IN ENERGY LEVEL (ELIMP)
GENOS LTD.- EMOTIONAL INTELLIGENCE PRACTITIONER
INTERNATIONAL COACHING FEDERATION (ICF)- PROFESSIONAL CERTIFIED COACH (PCC)
INTERNATIONAL NEURO-LINGUISTIC PROGRAMMING TRAINERS’ ASSOCIATION (INLPTA)- NEURO- LINGUISTIC PROGRAMMING PRACTITIONER